Post 1.17 - Visions of Sugar Plums

So I had an idea.

I think it's a good idea, but it's also somewhat troubling.

I like to cook - that's not a secret. It occurred to me that I could send out care packages this year. I have no idea what it would cost to ship food, only that I could effectively vacuum-seal things and everything would arrive as reasonably tasty as it was when I first made it. Everything could be prepared in the microwave or by putting the sealed bag in a pot of boiling water for 20 minutes.

But then it occurred to me how many people might actually not only appreciate the gift, but need the food.

And that's just... tragic.

So I am contemplating how to make this idea work. I can't commit to feeding 20 people - my finances are stretched thin, too. I could certainly buy a quantity of food and whip up a bunch of things, but there is the shipping cost and special considerations for food. I'm not talking fruitcakes, but things like turkey meatloaf cordon bleu, spinach chicken parmesan, or a Moroccan tagine. I thought about putting a menu together and sending a whole meal, or maybe a selection of entrees or something. My food is good, it's healthy, and I make different things for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

In past years, I'd be Christmas shopping now, and I'd be finished by mid-November. And the way things are now, I'd rather do something more personal and more worthwhile than just buying the latest gadget for someone. I mean, not everyone reading this needs this kind of basic assistance and would still love to get one of my culinary creations, but I feel like I need to do more.

I'm still working this through in my head.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post 2.7 - American Dreams

On Free Speech

Post 1.2 - Veggie Tales